5 Recipes to Celebrate National Zucchini Bread Day
You know those social media posts that alert you to National Sister Day, National Cupcake Day or National Puppy Day, et cetera? They inundate your feeds as you scroll through your Instagram and facebook, prompting you to upload whatever relevant picture you have on your phone.
Well, it turns out almost every day is reason for celebration no matter how obscure (Something on a Stick Day, anyone?), and April 25th is no exception. That's why I suggest you get prepared, and by prepared, I mean go grocery shopping unless you have some squash growing in your garden, which is always the best. (Seriously, zucchini is relatively easy to grow and very hearty, give it a try!).
If you have not planned that far ahead, check out that produce aisle or browse a local Farmer's Markets (hurrah, spring is here!), and whip up one of these delicious zucchini bread-inspired recipes. Let's make #NationalZucchiniBreadDay huge this year! Or at the least, not obscure. Move over, cupcakes. Tag your creations #NationalZucchiniBreadDay and enjoy your new fave squash-laden dessert. I know I sure will.
1. Zucchini Maple Brownies: Yes it's technically a brownie not a bread, but these taste like zucchini bread married a brownie, and the rest was history. The combination of zucchini, maple and chocolate is to die for, plus it's gluten-free and vegan. These maple-tinged zucchini brownies are rich and fudgy, and also gluten-free and soy-free. These ones are nut-free too, and with a vegan option. So go ahead and indulge; you're getting in some veggies but you'll never know it!
2. Zucchini Bread Muffins: If you like zucchini bread, and also muffins, then you are in luck. These zucchini bread muffins are portion controlled in their perfect cute muffin liners, making it fun to serve or take them along as a portable snack. These are the perfect size and the parchment paper liners are a way to easily whip up and serve these individual portions of zucchini bread heaven.
3. Zucchini Bread Pancakes. Why not go big and start your day off #NationalZucchiniBread-style? A bonus: toddlers LOVE these. And adults. And everyone in between. Simply fold 1 cup of shredded zucchini into almost any pancake recipe (note: pat it dry with paper towels before cooking, and it may need a few extra minutes on the griddle).
4. Zoatmeal. If you have not heard of "zoats" or "zoatmeal" before, it is not as crazy as it sounds (or maybe it is, but it's still dang good). Making this filling and veggie-packed breakfast is as easy as cooking 1/2 cup of shredded zucchini into your oatmeal. (Zucchini + oatmeal = "zoatmeal"). After it is cooked over the stovetop or microwave, stir in 1/8 tsp maple extract, 1 tsp maple syrup and 1/4 tsp cinnamon for a true zucchini bread taste. Add a little nondairy milk if desired until the perfect texture is reached.
5. Paleo Ginger Zucchini Bread: You cannot go wrong with good old fashioned zucchini bread, and especially paleo zucchini bread with ginger. The texture is fantastic and it's filling but not too heavy, with the perfect amount of zesty ginger. Yellow or zucchini work perfectly in this recipe.