Workout Without Leaving Your Office
Are you stuck in the office today? Don't fret; you can beat that seat spread with these 5 office-friendly moves. Keep your blood pumping and metabolism up throughout the day to look and feel your best.
1. Sit n' Stretch (with coordination): Sit up tall with the best posture you can achieve and lift your right arm straight, all the way up towards the ceiling. Straighten your left leg out and lift it up as you simultaneously lower your right arm and try to touch your left foot. Repeat 10 on each side.
2. Calf Raises. Simple! Stand up tall and with straight legs, lift and lower on tiptoes. Repeat 25 times, then for a bonus do single leg rises up and down; aim for 8-10 of those on each leg.
3. Squats. Stand up in front of your chair, and sit down and back; get your booty as low to that chair as possible! Keep your knees in line over your ankles. Repeat 15 times.
4. Wall sit. Sit against the wall while you check your phone or answer a call. Try to get your thighs parallel to the floor. Hold for 30-60 seconds; repeat several times after standing and shaking it out!
5. Serve a Platter. Look around you; grab whatever weighs a few pounds you can hold. Pull your belly in towards your spine with your back straight, and with straight arms (not locked out), lift the item with both arms out in front of you to chin-height (keep chin parallel to floor), and resist back down.
Do this 10 times, for 3 or 4 sets.
You don't have to stand up and do incline pushups against your desk to stay fit though, especially if it won't work at your highly visible cubicle or what not. Try these options ideas to stay fit at work instead:
You may have heard of the treadmill desk, but have you heard of the Under Desk Elliptical?? Eight levels of resistance means you can get a good workout in while you sit and answer emails. Several other innovative ways to mindlessly up your health and blood flow, making you more effective and sharp on the job.
The FlexiSpot Standing Desk lets you work standing and helps you achieve that perfect posture.
This anti-fatigue Standing Desk Mat keeps your legs fresh and fatigue-free and lets you stretch areas like your hip flexors and calves. (Ahh, the bliss for us runners!) Note: if you're training for a marathon or just running a lot, get this for both your office and areas you stand a lot, like in the kitchen while preparing meals. And thank me later.
Balance Disk for your chair by Gaiam. While sitting at your desk, target your core and posture with this comfy ball. Thin tiny flatter version of those giant exercise balls!
And lastly, the Apple Watch. Track your fitness, and get reminders to get up and move and stand every hour. Seriously, get up at least once and hour and move a little and your body and health will thank you!