Orange Oatmeal Cookies
Two things that make me happy include the first dropping leaves signaling autumn and orange zest in vegan cookies 🍪🍪🍪
I only recently discovered the latter in Eugene, and had to recreate it when I got home. The hint of orange is just so summery and fresh; I can't believe . haven't tried this combination before! Though the bakery version I tried was amazing, it was noticeably heavy on the sugar and oil; something I tend to avoid. When I eat a sweet treat, I want it to be delicious but also nourishing and energizing. That's where my recipes come in, and if you like oatmeal cookies with a summery twist, I highly recommend you try my version out!
This cookie scoop is a necessity if you want portion-perfect (and shaped cookies:
Or combine large and small cookie scoops and silicone baking mats (silpat baking sheets are a dream for even baking and a quick clean-up) with this deal for under $25:
Lastly, you'll need a citrus zester for the best results though a fine cheese grater will do:
Orange Oatmeal Cookies
Yields 16-20 Cookies
1-1/2 cup fine almond flour
1-1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder (corn-free)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
1 chia or flax "egg" (3 TBSP water + 1 TBSP seeds)
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP avocado oil
1/4 cup almond butter
1/2 medium orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup raisins
nondairy chocolate chips, melted (optional)
1. Stir all dry ingredients in a bowl; set aside.
2. Make chia or flax egg by whisking together and letting sit and "gel" for several minutes. Whisk all wet ingredients together, including coconut sugar.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, and chill in the freezer as you preheat the oven.
4. Turn the oven on to 350F, and line two baking trays with silicone baking mats.
5. Scoop 1-1/2 to 2 TBSP-sized mounds onto the cookie sheets, leaving space between each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set; let cool on a wire rack.
6. Garnish with melted nondairy chocolate, additional orange zest and sea salt if desired.
Let me know what you think of this recipe! If you like this one, you'll love my bakery book. It's full of gluten-free, vegan, paleo and even AIP-safe recipes!
Support me AND nourish your body!
Nutritional Content (if you make 20 cookies):