Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Cookies and nutritious Vegan Chia Cookies come together to make this amazing cookie. No, this is not my top-secret recipe that only a few people in the world have the recipe for. (#SorryNotSorry) But the good news is, it is close, and it is (almost) as mouth-wateringly amazing. (That's a word, right?)
As many bakers know, the ingredients you use vastly affect how the end results taste. As with most recipe, this is one you don't want to skimp on. Use organic chia seeds like these and flavorful organic cinnamon, and you can taste the difference. And while you're at it, don't use white sugar (no no no as my twin toddlers love to say). Use coconut palm sugar, and you even have the option of replacing the chocolate chips with cacao nibs for a more nutritious version.
Bonus content for you: While they are baking, bust out this short metabolism revving workout without leaving your warm (fragrant) kitchen:
Chia Chip Cookies
Yields 2 dozen small cookies
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup + 2 TBSP coconut palm sugar
1 TBSP chia seeds + 3 TBSP water
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free flour
1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
3/4 tsp organic cinnamon
1/2 tsp maca powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
sprinkle sea salt
1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
1-1/4 cup gluten-free oats
1. Melt coconut oil, and allow to cool as you prepare the chia mixture.
2. Whisk chia seeds with water and set aside to thicken and gel.
3. In a stand mixer (this is the best gift idea for any baker by the way. Plus they have a million colors including this amazing one). Whisk coconut oil and sugar until smooth and creamy. Stir in chia with water, and vanilla.
4. Stir in dry ingedients, mixing in the almonds, oats and chips last.
5. Chill dough for at least 20 min and preheat oven to 350F.
6. Line 2 cookie sheets with silpat baking mats and form 2-3 tablespoon sized cookies onto the mats, flattening slightly and spacing out.
7. Bake 9-12 min until soft but still baked with the bottoms golden. Let cool and firm up on the tray for at least 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool firmly.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.