If you need (or want) a last minute dessert, or say, a filling treat to bribe your toddlers with, you've come to the right place.
This recipe yields a bunch of dense and super filling and utterly amazing squares of chocolatey goodness, so it's pretty hard to overindulge. The healthy fats and nutrients in all the chia seeds keep you energized and vibrant and may yield a healthy complexion according to numerous studies. 1
This is a vegan bar that contains no gluten as usual, but also no coconut plus no refined sugar (depending on the chocolate chips used). So if you're a wee bit sick of all the coconut-laden paleo or vegan treats, do not fear: this luxurious creamy bar will be perfect for you. If you swap out sunflower seed butter for the almond butter too, then it'll be nut-free as well.
Almond Butter Bars
1/2 cup almond butter
5 TBSP pure maple syrup
1/4 cup hemp oil
2 chia eggs (3 TBSP chia + 6 TBSP water, let sit for 5 min)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
1-1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1 tsp lucuma
1/4 tsp sea salt
optional: 3 TBSP nondairy vegan chocolate chips
1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/4 cup almond butter
optional sprinkling of coarse sea salt
1. Line an 8" pan with parchment paper.
2. Stir all ingredients into a bowl, then press into the pan.
3. Melt chocolate chips with nut butter in the microwave or over a double boiler, then spread in a layer atop the base.
4. Chill in the freezer for 20-30 min. Take out 10 min before serving. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired and cut into bars. Chill leftovers in the freezer.
There's nothing like an almond butter bar to fuel your pool day and sand box play!
1. Chia and healthy fat benefits: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/291334.php