My little macaroons are THE perfect gift or afternoon treat when you're having company over. To wow and welcome guests, I suggest a little sweet treat with whole, healthy ingredients like my paleo macaroons which are suitable for most diets: there is no nuts, gluten, dairy or soy in these delicate cookies! They (and you) will enjoy them–especially with a nice cup of Downton Abbey tea–yup it's a thing–(or hey, glass of champagne! Now that's a lovely welcome).
Not only are these paleo cookies quite delicious, they are also super simple and fast to make. (Good news for you last-minute or forgot-about-that-holiday types) ;) For a complete gift, get an airtight lidded glass jar and fill it with macaroons along with a favorite coffee shop gift certificate or Starbucks gift card for a truly thoughtful present.
For the macaroons:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla (alcohol and grain free)
2-1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
⅓ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2-1/2 tablespoons toasted carob powder or cacao powder
*optional: melted nondairy chocolate works too
Optional: Digestion-healthy GoodMix Seed Mix or similar blend of hemp, chia, goji and other superfoods to dip into while chocolate is still melted
1. Prepare the carob ganache: in a small pan or pot, over medium heat, mix together the coconut milk, maple syrup, and carob powder. Put in fridge to chill and thicken while you are making the macaroons.
2. In a medium pot over medium heat, stir the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until all is melted and combined.
3. Turn off the heat and add the shredded coconut, mixing well again. You may need to pulse mixture in a food processor for it to come together, depending on the size of your coconut flakes.
4. Line a baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
Spoon out the mixture, making about 15 medium mounds. Optional for a golden glaze, brush melted coconut oil over each macaroon.
5. Bake at 350F for 7-9 minutes or until set, let cool and drizzle with or dip into chocolate. Finish off with a superseed mix or blend of digestion-friendly seeds and dried fruits and berries if desired.