Today is your lucky day. I decided to share my secret paleo cake recipe, and you are about to have your mind blown. A healthy cake? That tastes decadent? Yup, it's for real.
I know, I know. Some desserts only claim to be healthy and taste good, but this one truly is. Let's break it down: Sweet potatoes, avocado, pumpkin and organic coconut flour and oil all play a starring role. These nutrient-rich whole foods and healthy fats keep you fueled and energized and the lack of added and refined sugars won't cause that dreaded jittery sugar spike and crash. So get baking, and pour yourself a cup of metabolism-boosting organic green tea for a treat that will satisfy your tastebuds and your body!
Paleo 4-Layer Mini Cake
1 small baked sweet potato (1/2 cup mashed), cooled
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon fair-trade cinnamon
1 vegan "egg"
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut milk
1/4 cup toasted carob powder or cacao powder
*Click the highlighted link to purchase the items for a great deal on Amazon. You get the great regular Amazon deal and my blog gets a boost! Win-win!
1. Cook your sweet potato in the microwave (fast version) or roast it in the oven for an even sweeter taste. Once cooled, mash it.
2. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat.
3. In a food processor, combine the sweet potato, pumpkin, coconut oil, coconut flour, baking soda and cinnamon until smooth.
4. Prepare the chia or gelatin egg by adding to water, whisking and let thicken. Add to food processor along with apple cider vinegar.
5. Divide batter into 4-5 rounds (I used a mug to make sure they were the same size) on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes (they will be soft and slightly risen but not gooey). Let cool completely; they will firm up as they cool.
6. Puree the avocado, and add in remaining ingredients for frosting. Chill. Once cake is cool, frost cake with the mousse. Add gluten-free vegan organic sprinkles if desired! Great for a birthday cake or anytime treat!
Another perk? It's great for kids too with the carob, but if you use cocoa instead of carob, don't serve it to your toddler just before bed!
Healthy foods compliment a healthy life, and eating right AND satisfying your cravings benefits your mind and body. Spike your creativity and nourish yourselves and your family for the real solution to a healthy happy life! Blair Bear here like to write just like mommy, and her belly full of nutrient-dense brain-healthy delicious foods fuels her learning (and typing ;)