I'm such a nerd; as soon as the banana flour was restocked on Vitacost I actually got a little thrill and immediately added it to my online cart. I tried banana flour for the first time in my life as soon as it arrived and was delighted at the results, though as with my first foray with coconut flour, I initially used too much flour and not enough liquid. You definitely need the oil in this recipe; otherwise it will be a little dry. I'm now scheming on what else I can try to make a delicious grain-free version of. You haven't seen the last of my banana flour recipes yet; that's for sure!
This makes a tasty slab of breakfast bread or (even better, ha!) drizzled with a little "frosting" for a treat.
Banana Flour Carrot Bread
1 cup shredded carrot, packed
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup
1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup banana flour
1/3 cup coconut sugar or xylitol
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Drizzle chocolate or vanilla protein powder mixed with water on top and nondairy chocolate chips for a cake version!
1. Grease an 8” round cake pan well with coconut oil.
2. Preheat oven to 350 and melt coconut oil then let it cool as you shred carrots.
3. Whisk the first 6 ingredients together at let sit at least 15 min.
4. Stir the remaining ingredients, then add the wet to dry.
5. Bake 30 min or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Once cooled, optionally frost with vegan protein powder mixed with water for a cake version or eat plain for a healthy banana carrot breakfast bread.